The City wants to ensure neighbourhoods are safe and enjoyable for residents. As part of this, the bylaw enforcement team works hard to regulate excessive noise across the city.
Make sure you're complying with the City's Noise Bylaw.
The following activities are prohibited at all times in residential areas:
- Any amplified music or sound that is coming from a speaker or a device
- Construction, or use of construction equipment, on Sundays and holidays
- Persistent noise-making by a household pet or pets
The following activities are prohibited in a residential area between designated hours:
- Playing musical instruments, including percussion instruments, is prohibited from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. and before 9 a.m. on Sundays
- Construction activity including erection, alteration, repair, dismantling is prohibited from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and on Sundays and holidays.
- The loading, unloading, delivering, packing, unpacking or otherwise handling any containers, products, other materials or refuse, unless necessary for the maintenance of essential services or the moving of private household effects is prohibited from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and on Sundays and holidays.
Not sure about the noise regulations for your neighbourhood? Check the City's Noise Bylaw map.
Report an infraction
To report noise infractions during our business hours, call 613-546-4291 ext. 3135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To report noise infraction outside of business hours, contact the Kingston Police non-emergency line at 613-549-4660.
Noise exemption applications
Noise exemption applications are available by calling the licensing office at 613-546-4291, ext. 3150. Applications will take approximately eight weeks to process and require the approval of City Council. An administration fee is required with the application.
Nuisance Party Bylaw
The Nuisance Party Bylaw, is a local enforcement tool which gives Kingston Police and bylaw enforcement officers the ability to address the negative impacts on neighbourhoods of behaviours associated with large social gatherings.