Special Events Policy
About the Project
The City is reviewing its Special Events Policy with the aim of more equitably distributing events amongst locations in Kingston.
In a Nov. 6, 2018 council motion, the City was asked to review the policy to:
- identify specific criteria and parks that can properly accommodate events with larger crowds and significant logistical needs; and
- propose policy changes, including reasonable usage limits and a process, to more equitably distribute approved events among suitable parks.
The motion was prompted by a concern that residents near some parks are losing regular use of them due to the number of special events being booked.
Special events have a significant cultural and economic value to Kingston, so it is important to ensure event organizers and visitors have a positive experience.
March 28 - April 3, 2019
- Review and comment on the draft Special Events Policy
Jan. 24, 2019
- Stakeholder and resident focus group
- Reporting back on focus group and public engagement
Dec. 7, 2018 Jan. 10, 2019
Input from the online survey, and additional stakeholder consultations to be held early in the new year, may be reflected in a staff report to the arts, recreation and community policies committee on April 25, 2019.