Smart Kingston - About
About the Project
What is Smart Kingston?
Smart Kingston is the project to develop secure, culture-enhancing and green solutions that serve Kingston's people.
The Smart Kingston strategy sets the vision and roadmap for how we, as a City, are going to take advantage of technology with the aim of improving lives of Kingston's residents. Becoming a Smart City is critical to the future economic growth of Kingston and region. It will empower our businesses and help ensure the social well-being of our citizens.
A people-centered Approach
Smart Kingston activities focus on making the lives of residents better by taking a people-centric approach. This is not just about implementing more and better technology – it is about enriching the lives of our residents by providing relevant and intuitive solutions that will serve them in everyday life.
Goals and Vision
The goals set out in the Smart Kingston strategy will support the 2019-2022 strategic priorities set by council:
- Increase housing affordability
- Improve walkability, roads and transportation
- Demonstrate leadership on climate action
- Strengthen economic development opportunities
- Foster healthy citizens and vibrant spaces
A commitment to privacy and digital security
The City is committed to ensuring the highest possible standard of privacy and digital security for residents by following the privacy by design data management and security framework.
This approach goes a step farther than regulatory compliance by ensuring that information technology systems, business practices and physical network infrastructure are built with privacy and security in mind.
Privacy by design principles include:
- Any measures will be proactive, not reactive and preventative, not remedial
- Privacy will be approached as the "default setting"
- Privacy will be embedded in design
- Full functionality will not always require a trade-off (working toward positive-sum outcomes)
- Privacy will be considered at every step in the process lifecycle
- Privacy and security will be transparently implemented
- Privacy and security is user-centric